Palmyra Memorial Post 6778
History of Palmyra Memorial Post 6778
Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States
1946 - 1959
Instituted April 23, 1946 at the Moose Hall on Cuyler Street. The meeting was called to order by Max Humphrey's Newark V.F.W. Post 2883 who introduced past State Commander Adrian Grobesmith. Grobby gave a talk on the workings of the V.F.W.
Comrade Ivan Cook, Jr. Vice Commander of the Dept. of N.Y., was the installing officer. The Ithaca ritual team put on the complete ritual. The following officers were installed:
Commander - Carl Hicks
Sr. Vice Commander - Nelson Reeves
Jr. Vice Commander - Harold "Hop" Rush
Quartermaster - Donald Cutter
69 Members installed
At May 14th meeting, voted by 2/3 vote to sponsor Auxiliary.
On May 19th - Received letter of resignation from Commander Hicks.
Sr. Vice Commander Reeves moved up to Commander.
Jr. Vice Commander "Hop" Rush moved upto Sr. Vice Commander
Floyd Dennie was elected & installed to Jr. Vice Commander
September 24, 1946 - Purchased set of Post colors for $206.
- Had chance to buy O.J. Garlock House for $20,000.
Talked to local attorney.
January 28, 1947 - Left Moose club. Held meetings at the Hotel Sellen.
October 14, 1947 - Moved to 3rd floor of Contant building (carried A.V. McDonald)
May 23, 1951 - Moved beneath Palmyra Hotel.
October 17, 1953 - Purchased Lot from Ike Cook by Blue Ribbon Dairy.
May 24, 1955 - Moved to top floor of Moose Lodge.
April 11, 1957 - Purchased present land
- Purchased bar from Newark Elks for $800 and made monthly payments of $50.
May 1958 - Started breaking ground. Comrade Harvey Walton to be supervisor.
September 24, 1959 - Moved to present site.
February 15, 2009 - An electrical fire destroyed the "Quansit Hut" portion of the post. The fire caused extensive damage to the office and the banquet hall. The bar while sustaining water and smoke damage was salvageable.
May 13, 2009 - Members voted to rebuild with Plan B, the 9,000 square foot building would cost close to $922,000.
July 25, 2010 - Members, families and their guest celebrated the completion of their new VFW Post 6778 home.